Nominations for the 2018 prizes are now open. The deadline for submissions is 15 July 2018. Please send completed nominations to email@example.com. Details can be downloaded here: LSAANZ Publication Prize Nomination Form 2018.
The Law and Society Association of Australia and New Zealand (LSAANZ) will award three publication prizes each year. The prizes will be awarded for the most outstanding contribution to the field of law and society by an Australian or New Zealand scholar (whether by residence or birth) or whose work has a focus on these jurisdictions across three categories:
- For a published scholarly book/monograph
- For a published scholarly article or book chapter
- To an early career researcher (ECR) for work nominated for consideration under (1) or (2) above.
The work must be in the broad field of socio-legal scholarship. As a guide, this does not include works that are purely doctrinal. In assessing this criterion, the following indicative points may be taken into account:
- Does it address the intersection of law and society?
- Does it engage with socio-legal literature?
- Does it focus upon both law and society
The publication must have been published in the 12 months preceding 30 June 2018. Note that if a person nominates a work that has been published online before 30 June 2018 (and the print publication occurs after 30 June), then that work is ineligible for submission in the following year as a print publication (i.e. you cannot submit the same work for consideration in different years).
The closing date for receipt of the nomination for all three prizes is 15 July 2018.
TRAVEL GRANTS – HDR/Postgraduate Students
LSAANZ is offering up to three small conference scholarships to assist Higher Degree Research students with costs of attending the 2018 conference. A maximum of up to three scholarships will be awarded for reimbursement of travel costs: up to $AUD850 for New Zealand resident Higher Degree Research students and up to $AUD400 for Australian resident Higher Degree Research students.
To qualify, students must:
- be enrolled in a Higher Degree Research qualification e.g. PhD or research Masters degree
- present a paper at the LSAANZ conference
- attend the LSAANZ Postgraduate Workshop on 12 December 2018
- attend the LSAANZ conference (13-15 December 2018)
- be unable to access funding from their home institution to support their attendance at the LSAANZ conference.
Higher Degree Research students from Arts and Social Sciences are particularly encouraged to apply. Scholarship recipients must attend the conference and present a paper to receive reimbursement of travel costs. Withdrawal or non-attendance will automatically forfeit entitlement to the scholarship.
Applications can be made by sending an abstract, travel costing, and a letter of support from the student’s primary supervisor (noting how presentation of a paper at LSAANZ relates to their scholarship and also noting that the student has no access to funds) by 15 July 2018 to
Applicants must also respond to the call for papers by 6 July 2018. The successful recipients will still be required to pay the conference registration fee.
Any queries about the scholarship should be directed to the President of the Law and Society Association Australia and New Zealand firstname.lastname@example.org